close
close

The quarter-finals of the Champions League will continue despite the alleged terrorist threat

0

Tuesday's UEFA Champions League quarter-final schedule sees Real Madrid host Manchester City at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid and Bayern Munich host Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium in London.  (Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images)

The UEFA Champions League quarter-finals will go ahead as planned this week, despite a terror threat on social media said to be posed by the Islamic State group.

“UEFA is aware of suspected terrorist threats in relation to this week’s UEFA Champions League matches and is in close contact with the authorities at the respective venues,” the governing body said in a statement. “All games should take place as scheduled and appropriate safety precautions should be taken.”

This week's games see Bayern Munich visit Arsenal in London and Real Madrid host Manchester City on Tuesday, while Paris Saint-Germain host Barcelona and Borussia Dortmund travel to Atlético Madrid on Wednesday.

The threat, released via the Al-Azaim Foundation, an ISIS-linked media outlet, showed that the four stadiums hosting games this week – the Emirates Stadium in London, the Santiago Bernabéu and Wanda Metropolitano – Stadium in Madrid and the Parc des Princes in Paris – with the words “Kill Them All” and a picture of a man with a gun.

Deputy Assistant Municipal Commissioner Ade Adelekan said in a statement that a “robust policing plan” had been drawn up ahead of Tuesday’s Arsenal game. The club said it was working “closely” with police in London to ensure everyone’s safety.

“Our planning for tonight's game is no different and our approach, working with the police and UEFA, is proportionate to the current threat level in the UK,” the club said in a statement.

Gérald Darmanin, France's interior minister, said there would be an increased police presence in Paris and security had been “significantly strengthened.”

Spain's Interior Ministry released a statement saying there will be over 2,000 security forces in and around the city for the games on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

“This operation is coordinated and supported by the measures that establish throughout the national territory the anti-terror prevention, protection and response plan for the current level 4 out of 5 of the anti-terror alert level. In addition, various measures have been added to to prevent such eventualities.”

The threat and additional security measures did not go unnoticed by the teams involved in this week's Champions League quarter-finals.

“Who isn’t concerned or concerned about terrorist threats? I hope it is something we can control, that just poses a threat and nothing more,” said PSG head coach Luis Enrique

“Safety is always important, not only for us as players, but for everyone, for everyone who loves the sport and this game,” said PSG’s Danilo Pereira. “I think that's important, but we have to concentrate on what we have to do, which is play football. There are other people who need to focus on everyone’s safety.”

IS recently claimed responsibility for an attack on a Moscow concert hall in which 133 people were killed.